SO... Here goes. :)
- R. E. L. A. X. College IS difficult and a little scary, but it is not a completely different world unlike anything you've ever seen or experienced before! All of the guys aren't as mature as you think they'll be, either. ;)
- Everything is going to be okay!!! Don't be constantly worrying about everything. You will EXPLODE! Trust me.... (This is a lot like the first one, but really, it's really important.)
- When a super cute guy talks to you, it's a good idea to smile and answer...instead of just forgetting your name, stuttering oddly, and then running away.
- Side note: Keep in mind that the fact that he's talking to you does NOT necessarily mean that he likes you. Sometimes, the question, "Hey, what did you get on problem 42-a?" really means that he wants to know the answer, not that he's making an excuse to talk to you. Don't read too far into everything, because most of the time, especially for girls, we blow it way out of proportion...
- When your teacher says the words "extra credit", DO IT!!!! No matter how inconvenient it may seem at the time, or how much you don't think you need it, you WILL!!!
- You need to actually study for tests. No matter how much you think you know the material the first time around, you need to study!!! Like not just glance over your notes study...but S.T.U.D.Y.
- Cramming doesn't really work... it just deprives you of sleep and makes you irritable. The best strategy is to study along the way. Realistically, we all know that won't happen, but it's a good goal to make. :)
- If you're living in the dorms, keep in mind, the dessert table is evil. For a person like me who is prone to addiction, the best strategy is: "Be smart; don't start!"
- If you're on the BYU swimming team, and you're from Utah, the first day you walk into practice is an amazing experience. The thing is, the BYU pool is our State Championship pool, so there's a conditioned rush of excitement, increased heartbeat, and speedy swimming that comes automatically when we dive into that pool. SO, if you're from Utah and going to be swimming for BYU, try to CALM DOWN! It's just warm up.... don't run over the girls ahead of you!!!
- Also if you're on the team, remember that your older teammates are wonderful fun people, and they are excited to get to know you. There is NO reason to be scared of them, no matter how awesomely fast and amazing they are! :) They genuinely want to get to know you and make you a part of the team. And yes, you DO belong!
- Facebook.... It is an incredibly addictive monumental waste of time. You do not need to check it every ten seconds. Whatever comments or likes that might appear at any given point will still be there after class!
- Whenever you have the thought, "I have plenty of time to do this. I'll do it tomorrow," THAT is the sign that you should do it RIGHT THEN! Because guess what? 99.9% of the time you say that, you don't end up doing whatever you needed to do until the night before it's due. Take it from the worst offender...:)
- If you don't get an A on your tests, you are not stupid! College is a heck of a lot harder than you think it will be. BUT, that being said, don't let yourself give that excuse every time. It's ok to not beat yourself up over a not-so-good-grade, but if you let yourself off too easy every time, it becomes a habit. Always try to do better, but don't beat yourself up over the lack of perfection.
- Don't live like a hermit. The dorm rooms never get more comfortable or exciting the longer you sit in there alone.... Get out! Do some fun things! Make some friends, do things on the weekends. "Life should be enjoyed, not simply endured." -Gordon B. Hinckley.
- Work hard. Have fun. Don't waste your time. Smile lots. Give 100%, and you won't have any regrets. :) It's totally worth it!
|Ultimate Frisbee--Swimmer Style!|
|Super Hero Party! :)|
P.S. It's not over yet. I still have 2 weeks of classes and then finals.... But I figured I'd get this out there for fun! :)